Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

>> apt-get is quite nice.  I like _running_ Debian, but it's too
>> bad the initial install is such a nightmare.  Today it took
>> almost an entire day of futzing around to get a generic Woody
>> 2.4 system installed and running.  Installing Redhat on the
>> same system takes about 15 minutes.
>
> yeah i suppose. but then i don't let 2.4.x kernel anywhere
> near my systems. 2.2.x does everything i need, and 2.2.19
> is solid as a rock.

None of the problems I observed were due to the 2.4 kernel.
The same problems have dogged the 2.2 Debian installs I've done.

> i don't know what kinda systems you run, but for me installing
> is quite fast..configuring is a different matter, most
> systems take several hours to configure.

I'm including "configuration" in the install time.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Where's the Coke
                                  at               machine? Tell me a joke!!