Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

> In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

> apt-get is quite nice.  I like _running_ Debian, but it's too
> bad the initial install is such a nightmare.  Today it took
> almost an entire day of futzing around to get a generic Woody
> 2.4 system installed and running.  Installing Redhat on the
> same system takes about 15 minutes.

yeah i suppose. but then i don't let 2.4.x kernel anywhere
near my systems. 2.2.x does everything i need, and 2.2.19
is solid as a rock.

i don't know what kinda systems you run, but for me installing
is quite fast..configuring is a different matter, most
systems take several hours to configure.

of course having a local debian mirror on a 100mbit network
helps for a fast install :) i can pull near 9megs/second
off my local mirror at work. got tired of the lagging speeds
for http.us.debian.org for my ~40 servers so i made a mirror.

it will be a while till i try 2.4 ..i read a scary thing
in kernel traffic yesterday:
' Bill replied that there were very invasive changes being
done to the 2.4 Virtual Memory subsystem, that would be more
likely to break things than the new scheduler. But no one
replied to him.'

i remember they recently finished doing a bunch of invasive
VM changes and now this guy says there is more going on.
maybe(hopefully) i mis-read this though.

nate

nate