Re: How to install Gnome?

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:10:16AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

| There are a bunch of Gnome packages intalled, but startx still
| gives us TWM.

I saw this oddity the other day when I was fiddling with my startup
scripts.  What I learned is :

In gdm you can select 'Gnome', 'Debian' or 'Xsession'.  Gnome runs
~/.gnomerc during startup.  Both Debian and Xsession run ~/.xsession,
iff it is executable.  The Xsession session will run 'xsm' (and thus
twm/fvwm2) as a fallback if ~/.xsession can't be executed.  (I don't
know about Debian)

(now for the confusing part)
If you choose Xsession or Debian, have both ~/.gnomerc and
~/.xsession, and ~/.xsession runs 'gnome-session', then when you "log
out" gnome starts a second time :-).  (at least some of those times I
had 'gnome-session' run from ~/.gnomerc as well)

If you experience that mystery again, there's some places to look.

HTH,
-D

--
There is not a righteous man on earth