Re: How to install Gnome?

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

>| There are a bunch of Gnome packages intalled, but startx still
>| gives us TWM.
>
> I saw this oddity the other day when I was fiddling with my startup
> scripts.  What I learned is :
>
> In gdm you can select 'Gnome', 'Debian' or 'Xsession'.

Ah.  Don't have gdm installed.  From what I can tell, selecting
all of the "Gnome" boxes in tasksel didn't install a useful set
of gnome packages.  Adding a bunch more by hand was required.

Oddity: You can't install gnome-terminal if you've already got
gnone-help-data installed.  Purging the latter allows
gnome-terminal to be installed -- then you can reinstall
gnome-help-data.  :/

After installing another dozen or so gnome packages with
apt-get and putting "exec gnome-session" into .xinitrc did the
trick.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now KEN is having
                                  at               a MENTAL CRISIS beacuse