Re: Interesting Server Issue

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 07:38:34PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> My hunch is that the network card (3Com 905) is somehow putting it to
> sleep.

Network cards don't put machines to sleep.  However, your BIOS could be
configured to do so.  I had myself horribly confused a while back by
such a situation.  I tried logging in to my home machine from work, only
to find it complete unresponsive.  I called my girlfriend at home to ask
her to have a look.  The machine came back on the network the instant
she touched it.  An hour or so later, the same thing happened.

It turned out that the BIOS was configured to suspend the machine after
a certain amount of inactivity.  Previously I had run kernels with APM
support, and they overrode the BIOS settings.  But I had just upgraded
the kernel and left APM support out.  This gave control back to the
BIOS, which put the machine to sleep.

So you might want to look in to your BIOS settings.  8^)

noah