Interesting Server Issue

Hay all.

This is a weird one and I'd love to know the answer...

Server is on 24/7. Server is set to connect to the internet (dialup to
Demon) every 2 hours. When it connects it sends me email with IP
address. Yes I do know Demon SDU has fixed IP...

Anyway, I never get the email after 6pm and before 8am. I think nothing
of it.

Yesterday I installed (as you know) cacti and mrtg. So I look at the
graphs this morning and from 17:50 to 08:24 they all flat line. Zilch,
nothing.

I check syslog and there isn't a single entry between these two times.
So after general paranoia sets in, tightening of firewall etc etc I have
another think and still can't come up with anything. The other
interesting thing (and why I don't think it's been hacked) is that the
uptime is wrong, but the date is right.

I rebooted the machine yesterday morning, yet this morning it was
showing an uptime of 9 hours. I know for a fact it hasn't been turned
off.

My hunch is that the network card (3Com 905) is somehow putting it to
sleep. This is based on the idea that the one remaining other machine on
the network would have been turned off at about 17:50 last night and
would have been turned on at about 08:24 this morning. Between these
times, other machines would have had power and other machines all have
3Com Cards which are still 'on' even though the machine is off
(soft-off) - the switch shows the nics are actually still on.

Is this possible? Is this at all likely? Is there anyway of stopping
this? I've not set anything up specifically to do this and I'd love to
stop it!

Answers on a postcard please! (and email if possible...)

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham

BOFH Excuse Board:
knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked