Re: Interesting Server Issue

<quote who="Matthew Sackman">

> Possibly the other win2k machines on the network?

without a wake on lan thing, and special managmenet software
installed on the other systems i think its not possible.
usually this software is 3rd party such as intel LANdesk.

> Believe me, I checked. Everywhere. There is no evidence of a break in and
> no evidence of logs being deleted. If someone really did break in then
> why edit the cacti and mrtg logs aswell: it really is a big dumb as it's
> just massively caught my attention and made me concerned.
>
> It's been suggested that I check the win2k machines for nic power
> configurations. But I agree: even if they are sending the commands to the
> server to go to sleep then how can that actually happen if there is no
> WOL connector to the mobo? Could the NIC driver detect the commands and
> kinda shut linux down? I know I'm clutching at straws here, I just really
> don't know what's causing this.

to be 100% sure you should ask the list that makes the driver,
most drivers are made by a guy at scyld.com. but i can say 99.99999999999%
sure that this is not possible for the driver to do.

> I want to leave another machine on over night and see whether that means
> the server says 'awake'. Dunno what else to try.

also check for apm, see if apmd is running, it may of done
something if the system was idle for a certain amount of time
but i doubt it .......

i would also setup a monitoring system. such as big brother
or nocol(now known as snips). then you'd at least have a log
of when the machine went network-inaccessable. and how long
it was out for.

also check the internals, i suppose it may be posible if the
machine were to overheat that the system could force sleep
mode but thats really out there.

nate