Re: [DEB-USER] Re: At peace with Debian (was: This is the last war...)

 Paul M Foster wrote:
Ivo Wever wrote:

I will applaud the introduction of "Ms," to the written language, since in
the South, at least, the oral honorific of "Miz" has long solved the
question of the marital state of the lady you're addressing.

I absolutely do not understand the need to address someone with their
correct marital status. I don't behave differently towards an unmarried
woman than I do towards a married woman, so why on earth should I do so
in writing?

Because (particularly in the South) some women prefer it. I know women
who are insulted by not being referred to as "Mrs.". And on the other
hand, some women are insulted by anything other than "Ms."

I don't understand: how could anyone be insulted by how you address them,
when at first you usually have to *guess*? Or aren't you allowed to speak
to them before you are aware of their marital status?

--
Ivo