OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

Off-topic, but who better to ask than you folks?

I'm interesting in getting a digital camera. I figure the 2.x Megapixel $200-$300 variety will be fine for my needs. I know next to nothing about these little critters.

I stopped in at Circuit City the other day and learned that there appear to be three basic types of storage medium: Compact Flash (CF), Smart Media (SM), and Memory Stick. The guy I talked to said that Memory Stick was Sony's, and was proprietary. If that's true, that pretty much turned me off of Sony cameras.

Whereas I'd like to plug the camera directly into my Debian box (2.4 kernels, Sid), I'm not opposed to getting a card reader of some sort. I saw a SanDisk ImageMate for $30 that reads both CF and SM cards. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Before I take the plunge, does anyone want to weigh in with their opinion as to what to avoid, what to get, what to watch out for, etc? I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Kent