Re: OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:04:37AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Off-topic, but who better to ask than you folks?
>
> I'm interesting in getting a digital camera. I figure the 2.x Megapixel
> $200-$300 variety will be fine for my needs. I know next to nothing
> about these little critters.
>
> I stopped in at Circuit City the other day and learned that there appear
> to be three basic types of storage medium: Compact Flash (CF), Smart
> Media (SM), and Memory Stick. The guy I talked to said that Memory Stick
> was Sony's, and was proprietary. If that's true, that pretty much turned
> me off of Sony cameras.
>
> Whereas I'd like to plug the camera directly into my Debian box (2.4
> kernels, Sid), I'm not opposed to getting a card reader of some sort. I
> saw a SanDisk ImageMate for $30 that reads both CF and SM cards. Sounds
> like a pretty good deal.
>
> Before I take the plunge, does anyone want to weigh in with their
> opinion as to what to avoid, what to get, what to watch out for, etc?
> I'd appreciate the input.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kent

//

i took the plunge with a kodak dx3700 (3.1 megapixels),
a compact flash card, and a card reader.  everything
works nicely; and with the card reader, i don't have
to worry about finding software that will interface
with the camera.  it was a no-brainer.

good luck.

b.

//