Modem Gateway

Hey! I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and I am begining to learn a thing or
two. Thanks!
As a fresh "gnubie" my lingering struggle (6 weeks) is restoring internet
service to my home after begining my GNU/Linux learning curve with Woody.

I have two machines each with woody and one NIC. I have each NIC working and
connected with a crossover cable.  Thanks to the Ethernet-HOWTO. One machine
I call DTK has a modem in it that works without M$.
When I type route ( as root ) on the DTK machine It feed me :
Destination : 192.168.0.2
Gateway:       *
Genmask: 255.255.255.255
Flags:  UH
Metric: 1
Ref: 0
Use: 0
Iface: tap0

Plus info about the dial up ip

Now the machine upstairs I call "Compaq"
Destination : 192.168.0.0     ||  default
Gateway:       *                     || 192.168.0.1
Genmask: 255.255.255.000 ||  0.0.0.0
Flags:  U                               ||  UG
Metric: 0                               || 0
Ref: 0                                    || 0
Use: 0                                   || 0
Iface: eth0                             || eth0

I have installed squid on the "DPC" (modem) machine and ipmasq.
Alas something is not quite right with the dial-up configuration as I'm not
able to ping out anymore from the dpc to the internet ( no dns ).

Please advise, or point me in the right directions ( time permitting ).