Re: Modem Gateway

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:48:24 -0600
"dan.hunt" <dan.hunt@st.brieux.com> wrote:

> Hey! I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and I am begining to learn a thing or
> two. Thanks!
> As a fresh "gnubie" my lingering struggle (6 weeks) is restoring internet
> service to my home after begining my GNU/Linux learning curve with Woody.
[snipped config info]
> I have installed squid on the "DPC" (modem) machine and ipmasq.
> Alas something is not quite right with the dial-up configuration as I'm not
> able to ping out anymore from the dpc to the internet ( no dns ).

Hi, Dan. If I'm following you right, the system that has the direct connection is not able to ping, right? If you believe the problem to be DNS related (i.e., you can ping ip's but not names) /etc/resolv.conf is a place to look. Are there "nameserver x.x.x.x" lines in there? If not, then something has gone wrong with your dial-up configuration.

Typically the pppd daemon will get the dns servers on connect. If you don't feel like troubleshooting that, the lazy way is to manually enter nameservers (man resolv.conf).

> Please advise, or point me in the right directions ( time permitting ).

If I misread you, let me know.

-Mark