Re: Modem Gateway

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 12:48, dan.hunt wrote:
> Hey! I enjoy reading everyone's posts, and I am begining to learn a thing or
> two. Thanks!
> As a fresh "gnubie" my lingering struggle (6 weeks) is restoring internet
> service to my home after begining my GNU/Linux learning curve with Woody.
>
> I have two machines each with woody and one NIC. I have each NIC working and
> connected with a crossover cable.  Thanks to the Ethernet-HOWTO. One machine
> I call DTK has a modem in it that works without M$.
> When I type route ( as root ) on the DTK machine It feed me :
> Destination : 192.168.0.2
> Gateway:       *
> Genmask: 255.255.255.255
> Flags:  UH
> Metric: 1
> Ref: 0
> Use: 0
> Iface: tap0

You should probably set DTK to destination: 192.168.0.0 netmask
255.255.255.0 device: eth0

I don't know why its tap0. tap0 is mostly used for demand dial. Demand
dial is probably using the 192.168.0.* address space to detect for the
presence of outgoing traffic. This is clashing with your internal IP
address space.

You have two options. One, move your intenal machines to another private
address block, like 192.168.1.* or 10.0.0.*.

Two, (the easiest) go...

dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low --frontend=dialog diald

Read the first page, select a different ip block and enter something
you're never going to use (like 192.168.76.1 and 192.168.76.2)

then restart diald (/etc/init.d/diald restart), then bring your
interface backup (ifdown -a; ifup -a)

Let us know how you go

Crispin Wellington