Re: At peace with Debian (was: This is the last war...)

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 17:33, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > > See my other posts for the case supporting singular "they".  If
> > > Shakespeare on George Bernard Shaw can do it, so can anyone else ;)
> >
> > I used to try that argument in English class.
> >
> > It didn't work.
>
> So your English teacher was illiterate. Big deal. I had an illiterate
> English teacher back in 8th grade. She completely missed a blatant
> allusion to Shakespeare, and criticised me for "vagueness" because I
> used the construct "such stuff as ... are made of".

If you habitually use Shakespearean English to write ordinary prose, you
will be regarded as ... odd.

Shakespeare also changed spellings with gay abandon, including his own
name.  If you do that now, you will rightly be regarded as illiterate.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver