Re: Debian and APM

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:15:42PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> On Saturday 13 July 2002 18:20, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I'm told that this is only if there are pending writes to the disk, and
> > my laptop is capable of spinning down its disks for longer than that now
> > despite using ext3. You do have to experiment quite a bit to make sure
> > there's nothing that writes to your disk frequently, though. Using the
> > 'noatime' mount option may help.
>
> Hi Colin
>
> Are you sure that you are not using ACPI to Supsend the _whole_ system to
> RAM/HDD? In that case the system can't do anything anymore because its
> controlled by the BIOS. I can do this here. Then the whole system is shut
> down and nothing internally can rewake it. I have to do it on the
> Keyboard/Power Button.

Well, I don't think this has anything to do with the details of pending
writes. I sincerely hope I'm not using ACPI suspend, since its effects
on this laptop are even worse than the effects on yours: not even the
power button will wake it up again, and I have to pull out the battery
and push it back in before the system will come back up.

For the meantime, I just don't suspend my laptop. It hasn't got any
battery life worth speaking of anyway, unfortunately, and lives on AC
power whenever I can get away with it.

Cheers,