Re: Debian and APM

On Friday 12 July 2002 14:05, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 11/07/02 Raffaele Sandrini did speaketh:
> > Hi
> >
> > How can i configure my system to do basic APM things like suspend the
> > screen after 10 min and the HDD after 20 min etc.
> >
> > Naturally APM has to be enabled in the kernel :-)
>
>     apt-get install powermgmt-base hdparm
>     man apm
>     man hdparm
>
>     Mike

Thanks.

I just recognized something...

Could it be, that if i use ext3 i can't use HDD power save modes? Its because
the committing of ext3. It commits every 5 seconds to the disk. So every 5
second the HDD is accessed and so there is never a longer idle state...
comments?

I tried a "hdparm -Y /dev/hda" wich immediatly shutted down my HDD (as it
should).
After a few seconds the system tried to access and resestted the IDE bus and
the drive began to run again.

--
Raffaele Sandrini <rasa@gmx.ch>
Annoyed about M$ Windows? Don't worry. Try Linux! (www.linux.org)