Re: How do you process package dependencies?

On Sunday 14 July 2002 04:48 pm, alex wrote:
> Could someone explain package dependencies?   Please follow the
> path below
>
> For a list of Debian Sofware packages
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/
>
> Select  Editors (in Administration)
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/
>
> Let's chose the editor named vim.
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/vim.html
> This shows other packages related to vim.
>
> libc6, libgpmg1, libncurses5, dpkg, vim-rt, exuberant-ctags
>
> I presume that vim's proper operation depends these packages
> being present in the system.
>
> 1.  will these dependency packages be automatically installed
>       when you download and install vim or is it necessary to
> download and install these packages individually before installing
> vim? Or, does it make
>       no difference which you install first?
>
> 2.  how do you determine where in the directory system vim
>       should be installed and where the dependency packages should be
>       installed?
>
> In summary, how and where do you install vim?

quick answer:

apt-get update
apt-get install vim

explanation:

There are automated tools available for tracking and managing
dependencies - the man pages to read are "apt-get", "dselect" and (if
you have it installed) "aptitude".

You can work package by package using "dpkg" which will try to install
packages and let you know what's missing, but generally it's easier to
just use apt-get for most tasks. You'll never want to touch rpm again
afterwards...

- Derek