Upgrading to 2.4 kernel in Woody

I'm using Woody with GRUB.  I want to move to the 2.4 kernel and have been
reading about how to do so.  I saw in an old message that the procedure is
to apt-get the kernel image then edit menu.lst.  However, when I try to
apt-get the kernel image, I get a message:

"You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.16-k7)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd."

I tried to look up docs on initrd -- seems to be a method of loading
a kernel onto a RAM disk.  I'm not sure how to config grub to work with
initrd.  I'd experiment, but I'm not experienced with bootloaders and I
don't want to end up with a situation where I can't run the OS any longer.
:-(

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jen

P.S. What exactly is the worst case scenario?  If I ask apt-get to go
ahead and continue the install anyway, will I be able to boot my old
kernel if the new one doesn't work?  Maybe I'm all worried about nothing?