setting clocks and make

hwclock tells me the correct UTC:
Sun Jul 14 08:46:12 2002  -0.690648 seconds

Windows 2K shows the correct local time. Gnome desktop shows me the correct local time
03:46 PM

consoles and KDE desktop show me UTC.

I need make to work correctly even possibly to make applications from common sources which will run on Linux and W2K.

The minor point is how do I get KDE to show me local time.

The important point is will make work correctly especially if some of the sources are stored on a W2K (FAT32) partition?

Thanks for any comments.

Paul Scott