A big thanks to all Debian developers.

After whacking my head against Red Hat's dependency jungle one too
many times, I set aside a few hours today to do a complete conversion
of my home workstation to Debian.

I decided to prove to myself that Debian was the right choice by
doing the install from a LinuxMall Debian 2.0 CD. Yes, that's right,
I installed Hamm.

- Booted the CD
- Mounted my swap partition
- mke2fs'd my / and mounted that
- installed the base system
- edited /etc/apt/sources.list to include current stable
- apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

I then had to repeat "apt-get -f install" a number of times, until
it was sufficiently ready to be rebooted for a 2.2 kernel. Note: it
doesn't appear to be possible to go from a 2.0 kernel directly to a
2.4 kernel -- there are interactions with modutils and initrd-tools.

A few more "apt-get -f install"s, and I rebooted again into a 2.4
kernel. Finally, I added the software I needed, configured X (AGP
and PCI Matrox Millenium 200 cards, Xinerama) and was done.

So a big thank you to all Debian developers, and to every user who's
ever answered a question on a mailing list or contributed a bug report.

-dsr-