Re: Webmin problems

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Erik Mathisen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed webmin from the unstable branch.  I am trying to configure
> it to work using apache.

I've always been meaning to try this out but never got around to it.

>  I went to the webmin page and there were
> some directions on how to do this.  I tried to follow them, but came
> up with a problem.  It wanted me to change the perl path to
> /usr/bin/perl -U.

Yikes I don't like the sound of that.  And they want you to make all the
scripts setuid?  I would think hard about the security implications of
this especially if your server is accessible from the Internet.

> They gave a find argument to do this, but it required the file
> perlpath.pl. The webmin did not install this, so I went to the
> packages page, and looked up to see what package perlpath.pl was in.
> it is supposedly in all of the webmin packages, but there is not a
> perlpath.pl on my system.  This does not make any sense to me.  Can
> anyone offer up any suggestions as to why?  I am out of ideas.

Yeah, perlpath.pl is in all the source packages but I didn't install it
into the binary packages because it isn't something end-users typically
need.  (Unless they are doing something like you are of course.)

You can grab perlpath.pl from one of the source packages or this should
do the same thing

find /usr/share/webmin -name "*.cgi" -o -name "*.pl" | xargs perl -pe 's|/usr/bin/perl|/usr/bin/perl -U|;'

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>