Re: Can't connect to Internet

>> Hello -
>>
>> If I am posting to the wrong list, please tell me where to go.
>>
>> I just installed potato via floppies and am now trying to connect to my
>> isp
>>
>> I used pppconfig to enter the info and create the files. Then I type
>> 'pon' and there are no error messages. Then I try to ping 123.123.123.123
>> (I don't konw how else to test the connection) and it says something like
>> the "network is unreachable".
>>
>> Am I forgetting a step?
>>
>> Thanks so much in advance if anyone can shed some light. I'm so
>> frustrated with Linux right now. I love what it is about, but I'm f*cking
>> clueless and I don't know where to go.
>>
>> Thanks again --
>>
>> Hans

It sounds like you are not really connected.  It could be that your ISP is
using PAP and you need to put something in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.  It goes
like this:

username *       password

If that doesn't help, you could try this link for a step by step trouble
shoot:  http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

PS: I'm sending this through the list although I'm not a member.  I read the
linux.debian.user newsgroup and the email list appears there for the most
part.

--
Anita
GnuPG key: 1024D/9EDAC910