Re: Howto apt-get unstable?

Am Sonntag, 14. Juli 2002 12:40 schrieb Tommy Dugandzic:
> What does my sources.list have to contain if I want to use sid?
>
> The reason I want to use sid is because I have a newly bought
> laptop which has a graphics card that potatoe/woody's xfree86
> doesnt have drivers for. I'm hoping sid will have a newer
> xfree86. I really miss using X :).
>
> The url http://www.debian.org/releases/ does not contain the
> answer to my question. Maybe it should?

http://www.de.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-software.html
I use woody and some packages from unstable (SID)

I got a preferencefile like:
debian:/home/gerhard# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=woody
Pin-Priority: 777

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 333

Add for v4.2 to your /etc/apt/sources.list

# XF86 v4.2
# Here are unofficial debs.
deb http://chunk.mp3revolution.net/~aaronl/x ./
# beware of Locale issues. see:
#http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2111&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0

Add for unstable something like:

 deb ftp://ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice unstable main contrib
 deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable contrib main non-free
 deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main
contrib non-free   ( 'contrib non-free' belongs to the line above

Than do an apt-get update, and you can install with an
apt-get -t unstable <paketname>
pakets from unstable without upgrade your whole system.
apt-get install <paketname>  installs from woody.
apt-get upgrade  upgrades AFAIK only the neccessary security pakets.

HTH

gerhard