Re: PCMCIA network card with woody install

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:42:50 -0400
Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:

> > > Which kernel is it anyway? 2.4 and above need the hotplug package
> > > for some cards to configure (read pcmcia-cs/FAQ.Debian.gz).
> > 2.2.20 (defualt woody kernel)
> >

> > Ok, so here goes, managed to get it to boot w/o pcmcia enabled, if I
> > 'modprobe i82365'  I get a kernel panic, and have to reboot, if I
> > 'insmod i82365'  I get the following:
> >
> > max:/lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia# insmod i82365
> > Using /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/i82365.o
> > /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol
> > pci_set_power_state...so on and so forth for about ten lines of
> > unresolved symbols
> >
> > Then theres a disclaimer about non GPL drivers, and to contact the
>
> According to the 2.4.19-rc1 source, it is "Dual MPL/GPL".
>
> > vendor.   Ok, so I assume that there's a module not yet loaded, and
> > do an 'insmod pcmcia_core'  and another kernel panic.......
>
> Your assumption about the unresolved symbols is correct, i82365
> requires pcmcia_core.
>
> > So, I guess, where do I go from here?  a linux machine without a
> > network connection is fairly useless, IMHO, is there some other
> > order I need to use to load pcmcia support or something?    The part
> > that really gets on my nerves, is that pcmcia works FINE with the
> > installer, and worked FINE on the first boot after install.....
>
> I have put the 2.2.20 kernel that is in woody on this system (a laptop
> that uses i82365 for the bridge). However, I have have not seen it
> panic (even after multiple boots). So, what does it say when the
> kernel panics (it probably says something more than just "kernel
> panic")?

Ok, a couple screens worth of what I would assume to be debuggin
symbols, and these are the last 4 lines of the kernel panic (after
setting /etc/default/pcmcia to pcmcia="yes" and rebooting).

Code: 8b 41 04 85 c9 74 22 8b 5a 18 8b 02 89 01 8b 0a 85 c9 74 08
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill the idel task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

and that's it, right after INIT starts the pcmcia services (I think, it
flashes into the debug for the kernel awful quick)

		--Shawn