Re: PCMCIA network card with woody install

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:27:49PM -0700, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:13:41 -0400
> Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 06:56:08PM -0700, Shawn Dunn wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > > ok, the card model is a Linksys NP10T, and I got it working by
> > > configuring it manually (ie manually switching to another VT and
> > > using ifconfig and route), so now Woody is installed and running
> > > (the base
> >
> > Which kernel is it anyway? 2.4 and above need the hotplug package for
> > some cards to configure (read pcmcia-cs/FAQ.Debian.gz).
> 2.2.20 (defualt woody kernel)
>
> > > system and XFree anyway), so I go to reboot it, and BOOM, on
> > > startup, while configuring the PCMCIA bits, I get a kernel panic
> > > (just like I got when letting the installer do the configuration
> > > itself).  I've been
> >
> > You didn't mention that earlier. What does it say?
> >
> Ok, so here goes, managed to get it to boot w/o pcmcia enabled, if I
> 'modprobe i82365'  I get a kernel panic, and have to reboot, if I
> 'insmod i82365'  I get the following:
>
> max:/lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia# insmod i82365
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/i82365.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol
> pci_set_power_state...so on and so forth for about ten lines of
> unresolved symbols
>
> Then theres a disclaimer about non GPL drivers, and to contact the

According to the 2.4.19-rc1 source, it is "Dual MPL/GPL".

> vendor.   Ok, so I assume that there's a module not yet loaded, and do
> an 'insmod pcmcia_core'  and another kernel panic.......

Your assumption about the unresolved symbols is correct, i82365 requires
pcmcia_core.

> So, I guess, where do I go from here?  a linux machine without a network
> connection is fairly useless, IMHO, is there some other order I need to
> use to load pcmcia support or something?    The part that really gets on
> my nerves, is that pcmcia works FINE with the installer, and worked FINE
> on the first boot after install.....

I have put the 2.2.20 kernel that is in woody on this system (a laptop
that uses i82365 for the bridge). However, I have have not seen it
panic (even after multiple boots). So, what does it say when the kernel
panics (it probably says something more than just "kernel panic")?