Re: Where is Debian going?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:16:26 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> > I don't know about you, but most of the "users" I have met
> > wouldn't be able to install any operating system if it involved
> > more then a couple clicks. not even MS Win comes with every
> > driver for every device. I've never seen a "user" who was
> > comfertable installing a driver.
>
> Lucky you.  If you want to change that, work tech support some
> time and try to walk a user who thinks he knows more than you
> through fixing his mess.

In-deed. Actually, without being sarcastic, I see that most of the
people I had to deal with, lately, are prefering Windows to
GNU/Linux because, using the GUI, it sort of supports something I
love to call "trial-and-error" - administration: "I am having a
problem and there are two options I might want to try. I do not know
what either of those means so I will try both and see what happens."
So people try, without knowing _what_ they do and that they are
probably about to do damage, and if some of the things they tried
works (whyever this might happen - perhaps they really just
accidentally did something right) they are convinced they found out
'the truth', and they will never accept anyone telling them that the
fact their problem suddenly was gone (I guess we all know that
problems. in MS Windows, may arise out of the blue and, same way,
suddenly be gone again) was just an accident and that they were
lucky not to mess up all the system and loose all the data they
actually had on their disk. That's why I definitely prefer GNU/Linux
or Unix in common, having quite a strict policy of hiding most
critical system details from users, leaving them there to be setup
whenever there is need but having nothing that merely points the
user to mess with things he/she probably doesn't know about.

Cheers,
Kris