Re: Where is Debian going?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:45:52 -0500
Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:

> try and imagine what it would look like if car manufacturers had
> to build oil that can change itself regardless of what the user
> does to it and without a mechanic in the vicinity :-).

Full ACK. :) Actually, I am most of the time also using the car
analogy to explain those things to customers, but seems that most of
those by now already are having quite a distorted view on computers
and software in common, possibly also thanks to Microsoft et al.
Remembering a slogan used in German tv spots for AOL: "I'm also
on-line now, though I don't even know how to correctly set my vcr's
clock", or, translated to a language a little more rude: "I want to
use every technology even though I am way lazy to learn, so
everything here needs to be made up in a way that I can fully
operate it with what I know, now". Sadly nobody ever demanded a car
that everyone is able to completely maintain without ever needing a
professional to fix it. To me it's totally bizarre, but by now,
seems that most people here are willing to pay quite a lot for a
Microsoft Windows license and try to install it on their own than to
pay significantly less for a proper GNU/Linux installation done by
someone who knows what to do. Guess that service in the computer
world still is something that doesn't sell, in Germany.

Cheers,
Kris