Re: Ext3 or XFS (or none)?

<quote who="Balazs Javor">

> I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and recommendations that could
> help me decide on the most appropriate solution!
> Or is it at all recommended to use _any_ journaling filesystems? Or
> should I just stay with the good old and solif ext2?

i reccomend reiserfs. i use it because its compadible with 2.2.x
kernels which i use.  ext3 i think is in alpha for 2.2.x kernels
at best last i checked, and xfs not supported at all.

reiserfs is from what i've seen the most mature linux journalling
filesystem. XFS has been around a long time on IRIX but its a newbie
to linux still. The only downside to reiserfs is i think it lacks
bad block support, so if you use crappy hard disks like IBM 75GXP
you may have some trouble from time to time. ext3 is ok, but
i'd really only use it if migration was impossible by moving
to a fresh filesystem rather then converting an existing one.

it is pretty fast, i have it running from small 500MB partitions
all the way up to 220gig partitions on raid 10 arrays. it does
not support ACLs. The development team is responsive(I found 1
bug last year, and by the time i reported it they already had a
fix).

it is not an easy migration path, unlike ext2->ext3, but for me
i'd rather just start fresh then risk leaving old cruft in
the filesystem that was a result of a conversion.

but my main reason for using it is it is stable on 2.2.x kernels,
2.4.x kernels are not quite stable enough for me yet. though
it doesn't support software raid1/raid5 under 2.2, so for my
software raid systems i use ext2. hardware raid i use reiserfs
usually.

i've been using reiserfs under 2.2.19 for about 13-14 months now,
on about a dozen different systems.

when 2.4 is more of a stable platform(not changing as much) maybe
around the start of '03 i'll start testing it and migrate some
systems .......(hoping)

nate