Re: Ext3 or XFS (or none)?

* nate (debian-user@aphroland.org) [020709 14:22]:
> it is not an easy migration path, unlike ext2->ext3, but for me
> i'd rather just start fresh then risk leaving old cruft in
> the filesystem that was a result of a conversion.

Well, if by "old cruft in the filesystem" you mean "the filesystem",
then you're right ;-) The ext2->ext3 conversion isn't even really a
conversion. It's just adding a journal to an existing ext2 filesystem.
*Everything* that was in the filesystem originally is left there.

Incidentally, you should get no more or less than if you did a full
backup, create a reiserfs, and restored the backup. (Note, I said "full
backup!") So I'm not sure what you mean by this at all. It sounds like
you're advocating a system reinstall instead of a backup/restore, but
that shouldn't be necessary unless the admin has done something bad.
(i.e. an accidental chmod -R on / or the like). Even still, you have
backups, right? =)

good times,
Vineet
--