daemon vs. savelog ???

I have a compiled application that runs find under woody.

This app spews data on STDOUT while running.  I want to run this app as
a daemon (continuously running in background) and I want to save the
stdout data to a logfile.  In fact, I am doing this now and everything
is OK:

        $DAEMON >>$LOG 2>&1 &

Except, when _savelog_ rotates the logfile, the application writes to
the first archive, rather than the file with original logfile label:

        -rw-r----- 1 root adm     0 Jul 9 05:07 logfile
        -rw-r----- 1 root adm 17943 Jul 9 14:17 logfile.0

After savelog rotates the logfile, $DAEMON is writing to logfile.0,
instead of logfile.  Obviously, this is not acceptable ;<

I assume that this has something to do with the original redirected
output keeping logfile open, even during the rename to logfile.0 -- is
there a workaround?

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .