Ext3 or XFS (or none)?

Hi,

I have a fileserver on my home network running Woody.
I use it to store various stuff on it and serve it to my
other Woody machine via NFS and to my wife's Win2K machine via Samba.
In addition I have apache and an ftp server running on it for
some friends (=relatively small trafic). Plus I store my mail on it.

I'm looking for a solution to minimize the chance of loosing data/files
due to a crash etc. (Quick bootup is a nice bonus but not essential.)

I've been looking into journaling filesystems now and then, but none of
the reviews and comparisons I've found on the web offered any sort
of real conclusion regarding which is the best solutions.

Anyway I sort of narrowed it down to the choice between ext3 and XFS.
The obvious advantage of ext3 being that I can use the stock kernel
and I don't need to reformat my disks.
On the other hand several of the pages I've read seemed to believe that
ext3 does not offer many optimization and advanced technics the others do.
Also XFS is supposed to be able to save small files directly in the inodes.
Which I guess is ideal for storing a lot of mail from mailing lists etc...

Speaking of which, the contents of the server could probably be devided into
different groups, which might have different needs.
These are: file/ftp server (more often read then written.), upload dir (mostly
written), mail (many small files, both read and written often) and system files.

Finally, if I'd go for ext3, I'd prefer data=journal as I'm mainly out for
preventing data loss. Also it's supposed to be better in conjunction with NFS.
I understand this incurs a performance hit. But this hit only effects writes,
right? So it might not be so important for the fileserver part...
Also the main access to the fileserver is a 100 megabit ethernet so throughput
is limited anyway... (Same goes for the upload part as there the source is the
ADSL line.)

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and recommendations that could help
me decide on the most appropriate solution!
Or is it at all recommended to use _any_ journaling filesystems? Or should
I just stay with the good old and solif ext2?

Many thanks for your help in advance!
brgds,
Balazs