Re: OT:Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?

%% ben <benfoley@rcn.com> writes:

  b> On Sunday 07 July 2002 08:23 pm, Shawn Lamson wrote:
  b> [snip]

  >> I "grew up" on MS Word/Excel... It took me a long time to get used to
  >> StarOffice.  I've never tried OpenOffice.  For those that have used all
  >> three is it worth the extra effort to learn OpenOffice, or are the
  >> capabilities similar enough that I can just stick with StarOffice?

StarOffice _is_ OpenOffice, plus some extra tools which Sun was not able
to (did not have permission to) open source.

This works similarly to Mozilla/Netscape: the proprietary package grabs
versions of the free package, adds some proprietary stuff, and releases
it.

So, they should be virtually the same--for the same version.  That is,
SO 6.0 is a big change from SO 5.x, and OO is the basis for SO 6.  If
you like the integrated desktop thingy in SO 5.x, then you definitely
shouldn't move to OO or SO 6 :)

  b> apparently, there are some aspects of staroffice (presentation
  b> slides, email integration) that are no longer extant in
  b> openoffice.

Not sure what you mean by "presentation slides", but the full slide
editor (PowerPoint replacement) is available in OO.

You're right that the email integration/calendaring stuff is not
available in OO.  Also, I think SO might have some more advanced
spelling/grammar checking stuff than what comes with OO.

  b> all in all, it seems to me that if you've got s.o. working to your
  b> satisfaction, stick with it. the installation of oo.o is quite a
  b> pain,

How so?

Just install the .debs and you're done!  Aside from the download time,
it's as painless as can be.