Re: OT:Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?

On Sunday 07 July 2002 08:23 pm, Shawn Lamson wrote:
[snip]

> I "grew up" on MS Word/Excel... It took me a long time to get used to
> StarOffice.  I've never tried OpenOffice.  For those that have used all
> three is it worth the extra effort to learn OpenOffice, or are the
> capabilities similar enough that I can just stick with StarOffice?
>
> Opinions welcomed :)

if you're happy with the staroffice installation, then i'd guess not. the
only reason i tossed staroffice was that i found it way too resource heavy,
as in, if staroffice was running, nothing else would. apparently, there are
some aspects of staroffice (presentation slides, email integration) that are
no longer extant in openoffice. the main reason i use openoffice is to deal
with occasional word and excel docs that come my way, and need to be resent.

all in all, it seems to me that if you've got s.o. working to your
satisfaction, stick with it. the installation of oo.o is quite a pain,
justified, in my case, only by that need to deal with word and excel docs.

ben