X client cannot connect to server after upgrade to testing

Hi:

I've been trying to upgrade to testing from 2.2r3.

I followed some bad advice to upgrade apt first; which advice didn't work.
Someone else mentioned "0 packages selected, 0 upgraded ...." and not action from dselect.

So, after apt-get install <pkg> in fits and starts, it seems I've got most of the system upgraded.

However, X clients no longer connect to the server, there is some privilege error. The recommendation
is to remove the suid bit; which advice of course has no effect.

Since this system was working fine on 2.2r3, this privilege error occured after the upgrade. I''ve looked at Brandon's X release notes, but they don't address this problem. I've tried following Karsten's advice on starting w/o xdm, but
the best error message appears in xdm.log

Is starting an X client on :0.0 no longer allowed? Do I have to explicitly list the server name?

Confused &c.