Re: Where does /cgi-bin/ belong?

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 11:08:59 -0700, paul wrote:

>Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder declaimed:
>> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 09:45, Bob Proulx wrote:

<snipping everyone but Paul>

>Some newbie questions about this thread and the philosopy of not putting
>live data into /var (I run a single-user system, so a lot of these
>issues are theoretical for me. I understand that the game changes
>dramatically when administering a real multi-user environment.)
>
>1. Since the web root defaults to /var/www, do you then publish from
>another directory via a symlink?

No, the web root is defined in /etc/httpd.conf.  Put your stuff wherever
you like (preferably in a sane location), and modify the config file to
reflect the location.

>2. If you run qmail, just about everything it installs goes into
>/var/qmail. How would you handle this?

FHS requires that there be /var/mail/<filename=username> because this is
a system variable length file.  You can then move the file where you
like, usually into ~/

Disclaimer:  It is likely I don't know what I'm talking about.  See sig.
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---