Re: Where does /cgi-bin/ belong?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder declaimed:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 09:45, Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Agree with you on most points. Agree *strongly* with your suggestion to
> use cvs for all your content.
>
> [/var not in backup]
>
> yes and no. databases are in /var/lib. But then, databases should have
> their own backup procedures anyway.
>
> [...]
> > Close to the point.  /usr/lib should be read only.  But /usr/ in
> > general does not need to be.  You can mount /usr/share and /usr/lib
> > readonly while having a locally writable /usr/local.
>
> Nothing does need to be mounted read only. But it should be possible to
> mount the whole of /usr ro (in theory, even /usr/local). Everything that
> will be modified during normal use of the system doesn't belong into
> /usr, but into /var.
>
> The big question is, of course, if modifying html pages or cgi scripts
> is the 'normal use of the system', or if you regard this as an
> administrative task. This depends mostly on local policy and whether
> machine admin == web admin or not.
>
> cheers
> -- vbi
Some newbie questions about this thread and the philosopy of not putting
live data into /var (I run a single-user system, so a lot of these
issues are theoretical for me. I understand that the game changes
dramatically when administering a real multi-user environment.)

1. Since the web root defaults to /var/www, do you then publish from
another directory via a symlink?

2. If you run qmail, just about everything it installs goes into
/var/qmail. How would you handle this?

TIA, PM
--
Paul Mackinney