Re: Where does /cgi-bin/ belong?

On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:18:55 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:43:06PM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
>| I am trying to configure Apache.  The default shown in the deb
>| httpd.conf is "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/".  Other documentations have suggested
>| "/usr/apache/cgi-bin/", /usr/apache/htdocs.cgi-bin/", and
>| "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/".
>|
>| It seems to me that cgi scripts belong somewhere under "/usr/local/",
>| but what do I know?
>|
>| Would some of you who really understand FHS and Apache please chime in?
>
>*I* think /var/www/cgi-bin makes the most sense.  After all, /var/www
>is where you will put the rest of the root of your site, and many
>things in /var are meant to be changed by the user (eg /var/spool,
>/var/mail, /var/cvs, /var/lib/zope/*).

The more I think about it, the more I disagree.  The /var hierarchy
seems to be for variable data.  Logs, databases, and intermediate data
belong because the files are variable as are your examples.  HTML and
its brethren are static in the same sense as config files are.  They may
be modified, but it's not automatic.  A person does it, not the machine.
I'm not sure where the site root belongs, but this doesn't feel right.
Is it here for historical reasons?  Is there just not a better place?
Or, have I badly misread the FHS?

>However, I have been putting
>the scripts in /usr/lib/cgi-bin only because that's where the default
>config says they are and that's where some packages (mailman, zope)
>put the scripts they come with.

CGI scripts seem to qualify as lib modules in a sense.  The default
looks like the best spot.  Your reason is good enough for me.

>Maybe a split cgi-bin would be the
>best alternative -- /usr/lib/cgi-bin for packaged stuff and
>/var/www/cgi-bin for the rest.

Yeah, but I would argue for /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin for the locally
installed stuff.  Would you make links, or would Apache need a PATH
directive?

Thanks for the thoughts on this, dman.
--
gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash