Re: Where does /cgi-bin/ belong?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:43:06PM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
| I am trying to configure Apache.  The default shown in the deb
| httpd.conf is "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/".  Other documentations have suggested
| "/usr/apache/cgi-bin/", /usr/apache/htdocs.cgi-bin/", and
| "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/".
|
| It seems to me that cgi scripts belong somewhere under "/usr/local/",
| but what do I know?
|
| Would some of you who really understand FHS and Apache please chime in?

*I* think /var/www/cgi-bin makes the most sense.  After all, /var/www
is where you will put the rest of the root of your site, and many
things in /var are meant to be changed by the user (eg /var/spool,
/var/mail, /var/cvs, /var/lib/zope/*).  However, I have been putting
the scripts in /usr/lib/cgi-bin only because that's where the default
config says they are and that's where some packages (mailman, zope)
put the scripts they come with.  Maybe a split cgi-bin would be the
best alternative -- /usr/lib/cgi-bin for packaged stuff and
/var/www/cgi-bin for the rest.

Just my $0.02.

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/