Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:58:16 -0500
"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:32:31 -0500
> Lance Simmons <lance@lsimmons.net> wrote:
>
> > Did you compile ext3 support directly into the kernel, or is it a
> > module?  It has to be in the kernel itself if the root directory is
> > going to be ext3.
>
> I'm not going to claim to be an ext3 expert, but I can speak from
> personal experience.  And, in my personal experience, ext3 support
> does _not_ need to be compiled into the kernel for the root partition.

I have ext3 compiled directly into the kernel. I use a monolitic kernel,
so I have all the stuff I need compiled directly into the kernel.

I have another question:

I converted the partition /dev/hdxx to ext3 using tune2fs -j /dev/hdxx.
If I don't change ext2 to ext3 into fstab, in the next boot /dev/hdxx
will be mounted as ext2 again. Is the journal file lost in this process?
I mean, if one week after I change my mind, can I change the fs type for
/dev/hdxx from ext2 to ext3 in fstab without problem? will the mounted
filesystem be a genuine ext3 one?

TIA

Marcelo
--