Too stupid for courier-imap, but uw-imapd works?

Hi,

I've had uw-imapd forever, and it worked fine, except that with all this
mail from the lists it got awfully slow. So I thought I'd try courier.
I apt-get'd it, and search for docs. They were scarce, as it was said it
should "just work".
Well, it didn't. I'll repeat my steps and assumptions gained from the
infor that was available. It would be nice if someone could tell me
where I was wrong. My setup is Woody, Evolution as a client, remote mail
comes from a pop account at ISP via fetchmail. Exim is running,
configured to deliver local mail. I run a small home network, with other
machines accessing mail on the imap server (which is my reason for imap
in the first place)

First I moved my $HOME/Mail directory, where uw-imapd stored its stuff,
out of the way.

*Assumption: Exim is not involved, nothing to be done

*Assumption: per default courier-imap in debian uses pam
authentification, which means that the login password is used as imap
password

*Assumption: generally bad since a sniffed imap password gives a login
shell. But ok for first setup. Maybe later /etd/userdb to be used as per
courier docs

*Assumption: To retrieve mail from a remote machine when imap
authenticates by pam, I need a regular account on the remote machine

*Assumption: courier doesn't use inetd.conf, but hosts.allow/deny is
honoured

I ran then "maildirmake Mail" in $HOME. This was prolly bad, nothing I
tried afterwards worked. I then ran into a posting in the mail archive
that said "maildirmake Maildir" was the way to go.

*Assumption: courier wants it called Maildir, not Mail

After some fiddling around, I ended up with ADDRESS (or whatever it was
called, sorry, I've already installe uw again :) in /etc/courier/imapd
set to 127.0.0.1 (assumption: this would make imap get the mail from the
local machine, where fetchmail runs), imap setup in Evolution was set to
my username on the machine, the imap server was set to be localhost.
Namespace overriding in the client was turned off

I could then log in to the client, but only got an INBOX and a Trash
folder. Evo didn't retrieve any mail, although /var/spool/mail/$USER was
full.

Any ideas?
Also, how can I move over my old mails (delivered through uw-imapd) to
courier?

Thanks a lot in advance