Re: PS/2 mouse no longer detected after upgrade

cargo (2nd) wrote:
Evgeny Stukalov wrote:

After dist-upgrading to woody my standard ps/2 mouse is no longer
recognized (both in console and in X), even though after the upgrade gpm and
XF86Config have roughly the same configuration as before.  Mysteriously, the
/proc/interrupts file is now missing an irq line for the mouse (it used to
be irq 12 for PS/2 Mouse).

Kent wrote:
It sounds to me like some sort of hardware glitch has developed. You
might check in the BIOS to see if there's an option to turn on/off the
mouse port.

For now I just use the standard Debian kernel package from woody.  And,
while following your pointer I even tried booting with the old kernel, under
which the mouse was working fine before I did the upgrade.  But even with
the old kernel the mouse didn't start working, and there's still no IRQ line
for it in /proc/interrupts.

BIOS on the machine looks pretty old, and doesn't contain any ps/2 port
options.  And also I tried booting into Windows on the same machine, and the
mouse is fine there, so I guess that rules out purely-hardware glitch.  I'm
out of ideas again :(.

Yeah, if it works in Windows, that pretty much eliminates it as being a hardware issue. The fact that the IRQ line is missing in /proc/interrupts bothers me. The way I understand things, that means the kernel isn't finding the mouse. I just checked the output of my dmesg and my syslogs and didn't find any reference to mouse, mice, or psaux, yet I do have an IRQ 12 line for my mouse in /proc/interrupts. I'm not sure how to diagnose this.

On a lark, I just did a "sudo cat /dev/psaux" and moved the mouse around; that generated a bunch of noise/erratic mouse movement. So you might try that just to see if it spurs any additional thought.

Kent