Re: iptables question - location

El Jue 04 Jul 2002 11:31, Nicos Gollan comentó:

> > Curtis> I would like to edit the iptables script file, which
> > according Curtis> to one source should be located in
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables ^^^^^
> >
> > No rc.d in Debian.  dpkg -S says:
> >
> > # dpkg -S /etc/init.d/iptables
> > iptables: /etc/init.d/iptables
> >
> > This is from iptables 1.2.6a-6 from sid (but should be there in
> > whatever version Woody has too).  It obviously won't be in Potato
> > since Potato predates Linux 2.4 and iptables.
> >
> > Curtis> Is this a script I need to create from scratch?
> >
> > I built mine from scratch.  It's not really that hard if you read
> > the iptables docs.
>
> The provided init script is pretty cool IMHO, it just isn't called by
> default. You can enable it with dpkg-reconfigure iptables.

Quoted from "/etc/default/iptables":

# Now for a short question and answer session:
#
# Q: You concocted this init.d setup, but you do not like it?
# A: I was pretty much hounded into providing it. I do not like it.
#    Don't use it. Use /etc/network/interfaces, use /etc/network/*.d/
#    scripts use /etc/ppp/ip-*.d/ script. Create your own custom
#    init.d script -- no need to even name it iptables.  Use ferm,
#    ipmasq, ipmenu, guarddog, firestarter, or one of the many other
#    firewall configuration tools available. Do not use the init.d
#    script.
#
# Q: What is this iptables init.d setup all about?
# A: The iptables init.d setup saves and restores whole iptables's
#    table rulesets. That's basically it. It doesn't create any
#    iptables rules nor provide for running any iptables rules.
#    That also implies no support at all for dynamic rules.