Re: iptables question - location

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 05:00:46PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
| I would like to edit the iptables script file, which according to one
| source should be located in /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables

That's a RedHat path.  Debian doesn't use so many layers of
indirection it its sysv-based init.

| but, there is no script iptables.  Is this a script I need to create
| from scratch? and is this the appropriate location for it then?

I created mine from scratch (it's just a shell script that runs
'iptables' a bunch of times) and stored it in /etc/FIREWALL/FIREWALL.
I then added a symlink from /etc/rcS.d/S38FIREWAL to it.

I chose to put the script itself in a separate directory so that I can
have multiple scripts there with different setups (eg a .home, .work,
.school, etc for a laptop) and so I can put helper scripts (eg the
'droplist.sh' I posted a few days ago) there.

HTH,
-D

--

[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp: a billion different
    sublanguages in one monolithic executable.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/