Re: Logitech optical mouse?

mdevin wrote:

1)  in /etc/gpm.conf set
         (If you are woody.  See more with gpm -t help|less)

But if you use autops2 here then what do you put for the "Protocol"
value in the XF86Config-4 file?  It seems you have to give a specific
protocol there and do not have the option of letting it autodetect.

2)  in /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Logitech MouseMan Wheel"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
       Option      "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"

       # Note: Protocol must match the 'type' set to gpm
       Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Also, I just changed my settings to exactly what dman suggested and now
the mouse seems more erratic.  It seems to occasionally select text when
I haven't pressed any buttons and jump to the bottom left corner of the
screen if I move it rapidly.

BTW: The mouse I have is a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical.  I would be
gratefull if someone could post a copy of their gpm.conf and
XF86Config-4 files for this mouse.
Sorry, I don't have that mouse, but here's a tip. Get the mouse working properly in the text console first. Once you have that working, tackle X.

dman has two types listed in gpm.conf above; you only need one. imps2 is the usual standard ps2-type mouse with a wheel. I've never had success with autops2, but then I've never tried very hard.

He also has the device set to point to what I believe is the USB port. If it's a standard ps-2 port mouse, that should probably be /dev/psaux. His XF86Config file looks good.