Re: iptables question - location

On Thursday 04 July 2002 02:32, Hubert Chan wrote:

> Curtis> I would like to edit the iptables script file, which
> according Curtis> to one source should be located in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables ^^^^^
>
> No rc.d in Debian.  dpkg -S says:
>
> # dpkg -S /etc/init.d/iptables
> iptables: /etc/init.d/iptables
>
> This is from iptables 1.2.6a-6 from sid (but should be there in
> whatever version Woody has too).  It obviously won't be in Potato
> since Potato predates Linux 2.4 and iptables.
>
> Curtis> Is this a script I need to create from scratch?
>
> I built mine from scratch.  It's not really that hard if you read the
> iptables docs.

The provided init script is pretty cool IMHO, it just isn't called by
default. You can enable it with dpkg-reconfigure iptables.

What the scrip does is using the iptables-[save|restore] scripts to
handle configurations saved in /var/lib/iptables (the files used are
active and inactive). If the script is linked into the runlevels, you
just have to create your configuration, save it with

iptables-save > /var/lib/iptables/active

and the configuration will be restored upon reboot.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!