Could not init font path element unix/:-1

I just realized that replying to another message, to get the proper
debian-user address, actually preserves the thread in the archives...
Anyway, here's the message again so it'll start a new thread:

I finally got my nVidia drivers installed and can see the logo when I do
'startx'.  However, I get this fatal error:

Could not init font path element unix/:-1
Could not open default font 'fixed'

I've un-installed and re-installed every x-related thing I can find, but it
still has this error.  Once I did get it to startup, sort of.  The screen
went into an unsupported mode that my monitor couldn't handle and
CTRL-ALT-BKSP didn't do anything.  After trying different consoles, I gave
up and did a CTRL-ALT-DEL and it rebooted.  Now, I'm back to the same error
message.  What I did just before getting that unsupported mode was to
'apt-get install xfsprogs'

>From my searching, this has something to do with xfs, but it's installed and
running.  What else could this be???

Barry