Re: start script

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:02:11 -0700 paul <paul@mackinney.net> wrote:

> LRoland@web.de declaimed:
> > Hi
> >
> > I created successfully a script in the directory /etc/init.d/ and
> > can run this script with "script start" or "script reload" etc.

This means the script has execute permissions, right?

> > I made a link (S45scriptname) in the /etc/rc2.d/ directory to this
> > script (and later also a in /etc/rcS ) - but if I boot my Debian
                                ^^^^^^^^
The directory to always execute at boot time should be /etc/rcS.d. Typo?

> > box, the script will not be executed.
> Weird, this should have worked.

Is there any other link starting with S45? There is one in my system. It
should perhaps work even if, but you could try using an available number
(S44 or S46, for instance).

Also, try running the script from the rcS.d symlink instead of from its
actual path. Does it still work/not work?

> > I assume that I miss something here. Is there an entry necessary
> > in a configuration file? Is there a documentation about the whole
> > boot process on a Debian box?
> apropos update-rc.d

A debian developer, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, has recently published
a paper on the whole init scripts structure, see
http://people.debian.org/~hmh/

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/