Re: Dual boot win98 w/ 2 hard drives

On Friday 28 June 2002 05:36 pm, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 19:30, David Richmond wrote:
> >
> > Windows really wants to be the master, I think; in fact, it wants to be
> > on the primary master.  My configuration is that the linux drive is the
> > primary
>
> --snip--
>
> I think that's only relevant if you install 98 first. I dual boot 98 and
> linux on my laptop, and 98 is on hda2 while linux is hda1. The 98
> bootloader probably wouldn't like that, but since I'm using lilo, the 98
> bootloader never comes into play. I don't know how it reacts to being on
> a slave drive though as I've only got a single HD.
>
> -Alex

AFAIK, Windows _is_ fine booting off a partition when LILO is in the master
boot record of the same hard drive.  However, when Windows is on a separate
drive from LILO, the Windows bootloader is resident in the MBR on the
separate drive, and _it_ balks at being anything other than primary....I
think.  Hence the ability in lilo.conf to mangle the drive order before LILO
passes control to the MBR of the other drive.

David Richmond
drich@symphonicman.com