Re: Dual boot win98 w/ 2 hard drives

David Richmond wrote:

On Friday 28 June 2002 03:50 am, nick lidakis wrote:
I currently have 2 hard drives and was trying to set up a dual boot
system. The jumpers are propoerly set and the bios recognises them
the 40gb is the master with linux. The 16gb is the windows 98. I was
using the in a removable hard drive tray configuration but decided to
install them both as master and slave.
[snip]

Windows really wants to be the master, I think; in fact, it wants to be on the primary master. My configuration is that the linux drive is the primary master and the windows drive is the secondary master, but LILO remaps the drives when booting windows to make the windows drive the primary on the fly. Here's the relevant section of my /etc/lilo.conf:

[snip]
other=/dev/hdc1
	label="Windows"
	loader = /boot/chain.b
	   map-drive = 0x80
	   to = 0x81
	   map-drive = 0x81
	   to = 0x80
	table = /dev/hdc
[snip]

I had a similar problem as yours; I finally found the answer in a SuSE manual. Of course, now it doesn't matter, as I don't boot into windows anymore...... :)

Hope this helps,
David Richmond
drich@symphonicman.com

Thank you, I'll try it tonight. I only keep Win98 to play some Rogue Spear.

nick