CUPS config. under debian

Running debian woody, to which I am a recent convert from Mandrake. I chose
to install CUPS, which I used with success under mandrake. Interestingly, I
have both cupsd and lpd running at startup now, but that part I can deal
with...

My question: I have cupsd running on the mandrake box on my LAN, which now
functions as my NFS and SMB server, while the debian box is my workstation.
To use cups for printing on the workstation, should I ALSO have cupds running
on the workstation? Should it be configured to try to find the printer
available through the cupsd instance on the server, or should it be
connecting directly to the printer (which is on the network, not attached to
any specific computer) via ipp?

Any help appreciated; I cannot figure this out from the cups documentation.
Configuring cups to browse the network for available printers did not work,
even though I followed the cups docs exactly in setting that up...

nl